One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for petroleum jelly
- ‘These wounds heal by secondary intention and may be cleansed daily and then covered with petrolatum or antibiotic ointment.’
- ‘Gauze dressings can be used dry, moist, or impregnated with petrolatum, antiseptics, or other agents.’
- ‘Designed as a moisturizing cleanser, Albolene contains mineral oil, petrolatum, paraffin, ceresin and beta carotene.’
- ‘Topical agents such as petrolatum provide an occlusive film over inflamed skin, decrease fissuring, and reduce evaporation.’
- ‘The oil component of ointments is typically petrolatum; creams tend to contain lanolin.’
Late 19th century: modern Latin, from petrol + the Latin suffix -atum.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.