One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A light fuel oil that is obtained by distilling petroleum and used in internal combustion engines; gasoline.as modifier ‘petrol fumes’
gasoline, gasView synonyms
- ‘The octane rating of petrol tells how much a given fuel can be compressed before it spontaneously ignites.’
- ‘The price of petrol, diesel and kerosene has gone up four times since February.’
- ‘The Prius runs on electricity and petrol by combining an internal combustion engine with an electric motor.’
- ‘Protesters also threw objects such as bottles, sometimes lit with petrol, and rocks.’
- ‘Diesel fuel costing more than petrol makes Britain unique in Europe.’
- ‘The global thirst for petrol and other oil products shows no sign of slowing’
- ‘So, motorists hoping that the use of ethanol in petrol will cut their fuel bills are set to be disappointed.’
- ‘Tar is soluble in fossil fuels like diesel and petrol and oil spill loosens the road surface and potholes begin to form.’
- ‘Rather than using petrol and benzene as the fuel, these bombs use paraffin-based jet fuel.’
- ‘These tiny ships fuelled by high octane petrol, were made of wood and had a top speed of just twelve knots.’
- ‘Like the rest of Europe, however, prices of unleaded petrol and diesel have soared over the last few months.’
- ‘Hybrid cars powered by ethanol and petrol are now outselling traditional petrol-engined vehicles in Brazil.’
- ‘In Brazil, for example, half of all cars can now take either petrol or ethanol, which is produced from sugar.’
- ‘Higher oil prices have added to the cost of petrol, diesel, kerosene and gas as well as transport.’
- ‘Alas, I have a shock for Mr Hepworth if he thinks cars and any other vehicles using petrol or diesel will become extinct when the oil runs out.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Asda slashed three to four pence per litre off its unleaded petrol and 2p per litre off diesel.’
- ‘LPG, in fact, is stated to be a cleaner fuel than petrol or diesel, as it cannot be adulterated.’
- ‘The cost of filling up with petrol has fuelled endless controversy. Is petrol in the UK the most expensive in Europe?’
- ‘For the first time in this segment, Kia will offer customers a choice of petrol and diesel engines.’
- ‘The engine and generator are missing but when they are replaced they will use diesel and not petrol as fuel.’
2A shade of greenish or greyish blue.
- ‘The petrol blue salwar kameez she is wearing here cost 3000-the price was only kept below 5000 because he has a team of in-house embroiderers in India.’
- ‘Button-down checked shirt, Levi 501s, biker boots or Timberlands, and a petrol blue, zip-fronted, nylon Schott jacket - that was my uniform.’
- ‘The wash is equally bright and clean with light petrol notes among the apricot and apple.’
- ‘Harmer sells a range of contemporary pendant lighting, including the Icon glass dome light shades, in colours from petrol blue to cardinal red, priced £109.’
Late 19th century: from French pétrole, from medieval Latin petroleum (see petroleum).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.