One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to St. Peter or his writings or teachings.
- ‘The narrator's inauthentic Christianity is dramatized in what amounts to an evocation of the three Petrine denials.’
- ‘Those who wish to find a place for a Protestant recognition of the Petrine ministry on the journey to full communion will appreciate the perspectives offered in these essays; others will be less convinced.’
- ‘The Catholic church is a very hierarchical organisation, so if the Pope comes out with something, and it becomes seen to be Papal, Petrine teaching, it can actually make its way down to the pews pretty quickly.’
- 1.1 Relating to the authority of the Pope over the Church, in his role as the successor of St. Peter.
- ‘By now the whole western Church was coordinated around the Petrine see, with the partial exception of the Celtic Irish Church, which maintained its own separate organization and practices.’
- ‘Allen offers a brief account of the development of papal governance, as well as an intelligent consideration of the arguments, pro and con, for the ‘centralization’ of Petrine authority.’
- ‘Among major iconographical issues raised by the frescoes at the Brancacci Chapel, scenes of the Temptation and Expulsion at the entrance may seem out of place because the rest of the wall paintings belong to a Petrine programme.’
- ‘Leo was the first to state the Petrine doctrine outright, saying that he was the ‘heir’ of St. Peter and that Christ had appointed Peter as head of his church.’
- ‘Catholics tend to be more Petrine: a long obedience in the same direction which may have well begun before you can remember when it began.’
2Relating to Peter I of Russia.‘the Petrine reforms of the early 18th century’
- ‘Up until his death in 1736 Prokopovich, the Archbishop of Novgorod, remained a stalwart of the Petrine legacy in which he himself had played a pivotal role.’
- ‘In my opinion, Hughes's readers would benefit from the reflections of D. S. Likhachëv, the dean of pre-Petrine Russia specialists, on the issue of continuity between Old Russia and Petrine Russia.’
- ‘One St. Petersburg observer noted that to attain Petrine status, ‘Putin, like Peter, will have to transform the entire mouth of the Neva as well as all of Russia.’’
- ‘The shift to educated monks occurred during Peter the Great's reign, when the Church began to require above all skilled administrators to accomplish the new tasks it had been assigned during the Petrine era.’
- ‘LeDonne also briefly describes the use of economic policy to prop up Petrine grand strategy, through the creation of a military-industrial complex in the early 18th century.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.