A unit of computing speed equal to one thousand million million (10¹⁵) floating-point operations per second.
- ‘That topped the list in June with a rate of 1.75 petaflops.’
- ‘With two stages of enhancements, its performance will grow to in excess of one petaflop.’
- ‘Its computational power has now surpassed the five petaflops mark.’
- ‘Commissioned by the National Science Foundation, it would be the fastest computer in the world, the first to break the petaflop barrier.’
- ‘Various experts made estimates of the long-range computing power needed for their disciplines in units of petaflops.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.