A sauce of crushed basil leaves, pine nuts, garlic, Parmesan cheese, and olive oil, typically served with pasta.
- ‘For the main course I had the penne with mozzarella, tomato, basil pesto and olive oil.’
- ‘Thank God for pasta and those lovely little pots of sauce and pesto to pour over the top.’
- ‘Guests can choose from a selection of sauces, including basil pesto, tomato pesto and bolognaise from a simmering wok.’
- ‘On a cold blustery night, a meal of pasta, fresh pesto and good Parmesan made me feel like summer might not be far away.’
- ‘For pesto, combine basil, garlic, pine nuts and Parmesan in a food processor and process until finely chopped.’
Italian, from pestare pound, crush.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.