One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals.
- ‘Once volatilized, a pesticide can move in air currents away from the treated surface.’
- ‘Organic contaminants include residues of pesticides and other agricultural chemicals.’
- ‘Do not pour pesticides or herbicides down sinks, drains or toilets.’
- ‘And he said that crop spraying and pesticides were also posing a serious threat.’
- ‘He said the pesticide used on GM crops did not affect soil or water and was extremely safe.’
- ‘There have now been calls for all organophosphate pesticides to be banned.’
- ‘Occupational exposures to pesticides and organic solvents are suspected risk factors.’
- ‘While raising the plants and shrubs sparingly use pesticides, as they may harm or even kill the birds.’
- ‘High prices are charged for manure, pesticides and other items needed by farmers.’
- ‘Farmworkers who come into contact with insecticides and pesticides are prone to chronic illnesses.’
- ‘The ECPA also said that cutting back on pesticides could hit farmers' incomes.’
- ‘The synthetic pyrethroids are more stable than the pyrethrins, and are equally or more potent pesticides.’
- ‘In recent years, the use of pesticides in agriculture has been increasing steadily.’
- ‘At present pesticides are currently tested on animals and released for sale at a tenth of the harmful strength.’
- ‘The pesticides used in conventional farming lead to many diseases, including cancer.’
- ‘The cost of pesticides and other damage-control methods have landed farmers in deep debt.’
- ‘The pesticides being produced were organophosphates, carbamates and pyrethroids.’
- ‘Today billions of dollars are spent in pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.’
- ‘Diazanon is a pesticide used again in agriculture, but also used around the home.’
- ‘It is the rat breeding season when many people use pesticides and poisons to kill off the rodents.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.