Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance used for destroying insects or other organisms harmful to cultivated plants or to animals.
- ‘Once volatilized, a pesticide can move in air currents away from the treated surface.’
- ‘The synthetic pyrethroids are more stable than the pyrethrins, and are equally or more potent pesticides.’
- ‘It is the rat breeding season when many people use pesticides and poisons to kill off the rodents.’
- ‘The ECPA also said that cutting back on pesticides could hit farmers' incomes.’
- ‘The pesticides used in conventional farming lead to many diseases, including cancer.’
- ‘Do not pour pesticides or herbicides down sinks, drains or toilets.’
- ‘Today billions of dollars are spent in pesticides, fungicides and herbicides.’
- ‘He said the pesticide used on GM crops did not affect soil or water and was extremely safe.’
- ‘The cost of pesticides and other damage-control methods have landed farmers in deep debt.’
- ‘The pesticides being produced were organophosphates, carbamates and pyrethroids.’
- ‘There have now been calls for all organophosphate pesticides to be banned.’
- ‘At present pesticides are currently tested on animals and released for sale at a tenth of the harmful strength.’
- ‘Organic contaminants include residues of pesticides and other agricultural chemicals.’
- ‘Farmworkers who come into contact with insecticides and pesticides are prone to chronic illnesses.’
- ‘High prices are charged for manure, pesticides and other items needed by farmers.’
- ‘Occupational exposures to pesticides and organic solvents are suspected risk factors.’
- ‘And he said that crop spraying and pesticides were also posing a serious threat.’
- ‘In recent years, the use of pesticides in agriculture has been increasing steadily.’
- ‘Diazanon is a pesticide used again in agriculture, but also used around the home.’
- ‘While raising the plants and shrubs sparingly use pesticides, as they may harm or even kill the birds.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.