Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The quality of being attractively neat and jaunty.
impudence, impertinence, cheek, cheekiness, sauciness, effrontery, irreverence, insolence, disrespect, disrespectfulness, flippancy, presumption, presumptuousness, audacity, audaciousness, boldness, brazenness, forwardness, cockiness, shamelessnessmouth, neck, brass neck, nervesaucesnashsassiness, sass, chutzpah, a smart mouthmalapertnessprocacityView synonyms
- ‘P would wear these semi-see-thru tops and her nipples would be poking through almost skyward in their pertness: they were amazing I tell you, I was transfixed.’
- ‘Indeed there's a very animated conversation about whether one should compromise jiggliness for pertness.’
- ‘So there's Girl and NML parading around in thongs of varying stringiness and bottom pertness, making we mere bottom-mortals feel bad.’
- ‘The mate replied in the affirmative and commented on the pertness of her breasts.’
- ‘We were impressed with the pertness of her breasts.’
- ‘"That is what I meant by her pertness," said Mrs Corey, when they were driving away.’
- ‘One knows this is fun, pertness, cartoon, because it skates on our experience rather than probes it.’
- ‘They were often allowed considerable licence, though pertness had its dangers.’
- ‘Finley has looks, a voice and that ageless soubrette pertness - the total musical comedy package.’
- ‘Darcy could perceive from the twinkle in her eyes and the hint of pertness in her tone that there was more to her statement than she was willing to contribute.’
- ‘I tried for pertness.’
- ‘Her rich, clear soprano captures infinite shadings of mock-hauteur, pertness and good humour.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.