One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A small portable electronic device for playing music, used with lightweight headphones.
- ‘It's bad luck, for example, if you want to listen to the opera on a personal stereo anywhere away from your computer.’
- ‘For instance, we created special quiet carriages where the use of mobile phones and personal stereos was forbidden.’
- ‘I'm advised not to take a mobile phone or a personal stereo because I'll have to leave them outside the courtroom.’
- ‘Years ago one of my cousins, who would have been about 7 or so at the time, asked me what I was listening to on my personal stereo.’
- ‘Ban mobile phones on buses and personal stereos on the tube.’
- ‘Everyone is talking on their mobile phones or listening to a personal stereo.’
- ‘There are people reading books and pretending to listen to personal stereos underneath placards at every corner now.’
- ‘Research shows 39% of 18 to 24-year-olds listen to personal stereos for more than an hour each day, with 13% listening for two hours or more.’
- ‘Technology-based innovations, be they aeroplanes, cars, buildings, home banking services or personal stereos, have various component systems.’
- ‘Today, we take for granted many electronic products such as cellular phones, digital cameras, personal stereos, and printers.’
- ‘Like mobile phones and personal stereos these infernal objects ought not to have any place at such spiritual occasions.’
- ‘The jukebox has fallen out of favour in recent years, due to the rise in popularity of the personal stereo amongst pub-goers.’
- ‘Eighty children received personal stereos as a reward for taking part and were supplied with costumes for the performance.’
- ‘So I opened the bag for him to examine; a few text books, a couple of T-shirts, a personal stereo and a notebook.’
- ‘In fact, more and more manufacturers of personal stereos are opting for rechargeable batteries, although it's ridiculous.’
- ‘It's bearable though, because before work yesterday I bought myself a new personal stereo.’
- ‘A personal stereo with decent headphones can transform a walk or sunbathing session into a private, memorable musical experience.’
- ‘Here's the idea: You have one carriage per train in which the use of mobile phones, personal stereos and handheld games is not allowed.’
- ‘Perhaps it's a device that can tune into other people's personal stereos, so she can listen in to their music.’
- ‘They stole mobile phones, cash, bank cards and personal stereos.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.