One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A number allocated to an individual and used to validate electronic transactions.
- ‘Make sure that no one standing near or behind you can see your PIN number as you type it in.’
- ‘I have auto voicemail login enabled because I hate entering my voicemail PIN number each time I want to check my messages.’
- ‘Newly-issued credit and debit cards will come with smart chips to recognise this PIN number when transactions are processed.’
- ‘I was in the Post Office drawing out money, and they asked me to put in my PIN number.’
- ‘No bank staff will ever have a reason to ask you for your PIN number.’
- ‘And you did make sure not to use the same PIN number as any other service?’
- ‘Never carry the PIN number with your cash cards.’
- ‘Some people simply give their cash card and their PIN number to a trusted relative or a friend to draw money for them.’
- ‘The unique PIN number, together with a credit or laser card and internet access is required to use the new service.’
- ‘He watched as his PIN number was typed in, and as close to $1,000,000 was transferred into his account.’
- ‘If a cash machine withholds your card, report it to the bank immediately and make sure that you never disclose your PIN number to anyone.’
- ‘They took out his bank cards and asked for his PIN number.’
- ‘The system will replace signatures with a four-digit PIN number as the main way of proving customers' identities.’
- ‘However, it turns out I hadn't realised I needed a PIN number.’
- ‘Currently, users are issued a PIN number by the company.’
- ‘Warnings had been put on many cash machines asking customers to beware of people looking over their shoulder when they enter their PIN number.’
- ‘Bank customers have been warned they would never be asked to divulge their PIN number over the internet.’
- ‘For that reason, some systems require that in addition to using the card, users must also enter a PIN number before access is granted.’
- ‘Firstly, you have to provide your PIN number over the phone and this has to be validated by a customer service agent.’
- ‘‘In the panic of things she gave out our PIN number believing this to be a genuine call, all to be proven wrong later,’ he added.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.