Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A rule violation involving illegal contact, as (in basketball) touching a player who is in the act of shooting.
- ‘He got one rebound, committed one personal foul, and missed one shot in two minutes.’
- ‘When he retired after 13 seasons, he owned the franchise records for games, points, free throws, assists, steals and personal fouls.’
- ‘Defensively, the team has committed more than its share of personal fouls.’
- ‘He also has to be careful not to lose his temper and draw personal fouls.’
- ‘He picked up two personal fouls, committed one turnover, and headed back to the bench.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.