One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) having a pleasant appearance and manner.
pleasant, nice, friendly, agreeable, affable, amiable, genial, civil, charming, popular, clubbable, good-natured, engaging, warm, pleasing, appealing, endearing, convivial, congenial, winning, delightful, enchanting, attractive, winsome, fetching, captivating, lovable, adorable, sweetpleasant, agreeable, likeable, nice, amiable, affable, charming, congenial, genial, good-natured, engaging, pleasingView synonyms
- ‘He has a personable manner that reels the audience in and keeps them on his side.’
- ‘He's one of the most brilliant people I've ever met, and he's very engaging and personable.’
- ‘It does make you an energetic person, and one who has an infectious and personable manner.’
- ‘For anyone contemplating international travel, I can highly recommend travelling with a cute, personable infant.’
- ‘The label says it is, and the personable young man selling it assures his customers loudly and repeatedly that it is indeed the real deal.’
- ‘He was clearly bright, personable, charming and capable of writing good journalism.’
- ‘This person must be personable, friendly and approachable.’
- ‘Some of his support was the result of his personal popularity, the appeal of a personable young man full of hope and energy.’
- ‘One personable young man crawls around on the floor searching for bottle caps that can be redeemed for neat prizes.’
- ‘We wish both these personable young men every success in their careers ahead.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.