One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of a person) having a pleasant appearance and manner.
pleasant, nice, friendly, agreeable, affable, amiable, genial, civil, charming, popular, clubbable, good-natured, engaging, warm, pleasing, appealing, endearing, convivial, congenial, winning, delightful, enchanting, attractive, winsome, fetching, captivating, lovable, adorable, sweetpleasant, agreeable, likeable, nice, amiable, affable, charming, congenial, genial, good-natured, engaging, pleasingView synonyms
- ‘The label says it is, and the personable young man selling it assures his customers loudly and repeatedly that it is indeed the real deal.’
- ‘It does make you an energetic person, and one who has an infectious and personable manner.’
- ‘Some of his support was the result of his personal popularity, the appeal of a personable young man full of hope and energy.’
- ‘He has a personable manner that reels the audience in and keeps them on his side.’
- ‘He's one of the most brilliant people I've ever met, and he's very engaging and personable.’
- ‘For anyone contemplating international travel, I can highly recommend travelling with a cute, personable infant.’
- ‘This person must be personable, friendly and approachable.’
- ‘We wish both these personable young men every success in their careers ahead.’
- ‘He was clearly bright, personable, charming and capable of writing good journalism.’
- ‘One personable young man crawls around on the floor searching for bottle caps that can be redeemed for neat prizes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.