One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hazardous organic chemical compound that is resistant to biodegradation and thus remains in the environment for a long time.
- ‘It says it has changed the rules about the disposal of persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘Thawing permafrost soils are threatening human structures and persistent organic pollutants are accumulating in Arctic food webs, including people.’
- ‘That means that the exemption that is normally provided for small-scale research under section 33 must not create or involve a persistent organic pollutant.’
- ‘Persistent organic pollutants could almost mean a whole range of things that are daily, household things.’
- ‘It is interesting to look at schedule 2A, which identifies the 10 currently listed persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘The Act applies if the use creates or involves a persistent organic pollutant.’
- ‘Why they are not incorporated, along with polychlorinated biphenyls and persistent organic pollutants, is mystifying to me.’
- ‘Clearly, they include the actual definition of a persistent organic pollutant, in clause 4.’
- ‘The Stockholm convention, on the other hand, focuses on persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘I do not see how that can possibly allow small-scale research on persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘It will allow New Zealand to ratify the Stockholm convention addressing the global problems of persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘Better regulation of chemicals - hormone disrupting chemicals (gender benders) should be phased out as should bioaccumulative ones and persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘While there could be valid reasons for banning many of the persistent organic pollutants, there are very compelling reasons for not banning DDT.’
- ‘That committee wants to allow for directions to be given as to the disposal of persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘I think it is worth the Minister taking a call to point out how the law would work to enable small-scale research on persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘The UN ban on persistent organic pollutants is about to be enforced.’
- ‘Unfortunately, being top of the food chain, many have high concentrations of persistent organic pollutants in their bodies.’
- ‘What the bill actually does is prohibit the import, manufacture, or use of persistent organic pollutants.’
- ‘The National Council of Women also believes that it is important, through clause 8, that research into persistent organic pollutants is continued.’
- ‘This week delegates at a United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) conference may vote to ban DDT and 11 other persistent organic pollutants.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.