One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A carpet or rug woven in Iran in a traditional design incorporating stylized symbolic imagery, or made elsewhere in such a style.
- ‘There were real hardwood floors with fine Persian rugs scattered about.’
- ‘Some of the most beautiful Persian carpets were woven in the nineteenth century.’
- ‘At the first signs of heat, people roll up their Persian rugs and carpeting and store them away in mothballs for at least 5 months.’
- ‘It boasts of several Islamic style arches, Italian marble, Persian carpets, exquisite woodwork, large garden, two dining rooms and six bedrooms.’
- ‘A fine Persian rug of a delicate design rests upon the floor.’
- ‘It was a lovely room, with thick red curtains and Persian rugs.’
- ‘We used the money to barter, badly, for cheap Persian rugs, stale aftershaves and fool's gold.’
- ‘Cedric paced around a Persian rug with his hands behind his back.’
- ‘Nearly everything including the Persian rug was either pink or white.’
- ‘Let's say that Persian rugs become hugely fashionable and inexpensive.’
- ‘After skiing, warm up with hot toddies in the log lodge, cozy with its Persian rugs, overstuffed chairs, slope-facing windows, and 175-ton stone fireplace.’
- ‘He was at that time inspired by designs for Persian carpets and oversize clothes.’
- ‘The woolen, semi-antique Persian carpet was woven in Tabriz.’
- ‘He appears to be influenced by the designs of Persian rugs, by musical scores and by the Pattern & Decoration movement.’
- ‘He collected Persian rugs, small antique silver pieces, and antique maps.’
- ‘He almost tripped over a thick Persian rug on the way in.’
- ‘We've been sleeping on their Persian rugs, sitting in their antique chairs and redecorating their walls with our posters (using university-approved poster tacks, of course).’
- ‘Approaching the entryway, however, she slowed her silent pace on the luxurious Persian rugs so that she could take a few moments to observe.’
- ‘I almost feel like going out and buying a Persian rug myself.’
- ‘These officials, in return, showered many expensive gifts on the crew such as wrist watches, Persian rugs and other items which they were unable to carry in the airplane.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.