One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An irrational and obsessive feeling or fear that one is the object of collective hostility or ill-treatment on the part of others.
- ‘And some of us have developed a false persecution complex as a result.’
- ‘When I was younger I used to listen to rock music and had a persecution complex.’
- ‘The group has a persecution complex the size of Texas, not to mention a well-stocked armoury.’
- ‘But don't let that get in the way of your persecution complex.’
- ‘I have no desire to deal with people's paranoias and persecution complexes.’
- ‘I was over here acquiring an acute persecution complex, if anybody missed me.’
- ‘The motorist's persecution complex is at its worst the day after the Budget.’
- ‘Psychiatrists who examined him found he had a severe mental disorder and was suffering from delusions and a persecution complex.’
- ‘Is midsummer madness giving you a wee persecution complex?’
- ‘I swear, the persecution complex is so reflexive for these people that they can find a cloud in every silver lining.’
- ‘Gradually, I became a loner, and then persecution complex made its appearance.’
- ‘I developed quite a persecution complex, which probably amplified my feelings of depression, loneliness, etc.’
- ‘It's enough to give a man a persecution complex.’
- ‘He has a persecution complex, but just because he's paranoid doesn't mean they're not after him.’
- ‘But their persecution complex is unbecoming because it is unrealistic.’
- ‘One or two of the cards were a bit harsh but after that he seemed to develop a persecution complex about English referees and that only made things worse.’
- ‘This is not a persecution complex and nor would I ever argue that the stewards have an easy job.’
- ‘Bizarrely, he attributes this to the casual-related violence in the 1980s that left his club's members harbouring a persecution complex.’
- ‘His unhinged language suggested that persecution mania briefly deranged him.’
- ‘Third, even when your preemptive persecution complex turns out to be false, as you realized it was in this case, you still seem unable to avoid striking the martyr pose.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.