One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An anise-flavored liqueur.
- ‘Add the Pernod and simmer until reduced by half, about two minutes.’
- ‘Add the Noilly Prat or vermouth and Pernod, then cook until reduced right down.’
- ‘He tells her that Pernod isn't good for her, and she scoffs at him.’
- ‘His drinks of choice are Pernod, Tequila, Southern Comfort, Jim Beam and any Scotch whisky that costs more than Chivas Regal.’
- ‘That helped improve operating profit at Pernod's main wine and spirits unit by between 8% and 10% and reduce debt to about E1.8 billion at year end.’
- ‘We then skipped desserts, but accepted a Pernod as the nightcap.’
- ‘Carlos came back with a tray of bottles: Gin, whiskey, Pernod, Fernet Branca and a small bottle of bitters.’
- ‘The liquorice and aniseed aromas and flavours are so dominant that you could be drinking Pernod or Ricard - at about half the price.’
- ‘Pour over the wine and drizzle with a little Pernod.’
- ‘A half-empty bottle of Pernod sits on his desk beside the box of doughnuts.’
Named after the manufacturing firm Pernod Fils.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.