One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy.‘she's very pernickety about her food’
fussy, difficult to please, difficult, finicky, over-fastidious, fastidious, over-particular, particular, faddish, finical, dainty, punctilious, hair-splitting, exacting, demanding, critical, overcriticalView synonyms
- ‘This is partly due to the demands of an increasingly pernickety international audience ‘who get easily bored.’’
- ‘I do not wish to seem unduly pernickety but the point may have some relevance in future cases.’
- ‘But is a rescue really the time and place to become pernickety?’
- ‘But it's a pernickety view for a dating agency to take.’
- ‘I thought he was just being pernickety, but I'll not argue in future.’
- ‘She is no longer pernickety about her house and her possessions.’
- ‘Needless to say, there were a few of my pernickety readers who were quick to point out the folly of my ways.’
- ‘This is especially important for veggie or fussy diners who are pernickety about kitchen hygiene or the authenticity of their dishes.’
- ‘At last, those of us who are pernickety about our food can come out of the closet.’
- ‘That was how pernickety she was when it came to driving.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.