One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Placing too much emphasis on trivial or minor details; fussy.‘she's very pernickety about her food’
fussy, difficult to please, difficult, finicky, over-fastidious, fastidious, over-particular, particular, faddish, finical, dainty, punctilious, hair-splitting, exacting, demanding, critical, overcriticalView synonyms
- ‘I thought he was just being pernickety, but I'll not argue in future.’
- ‘Needless to say, there were a few of my pernickety readers who were quick to point out the folly of my ways.’
- ‘I do not wish to seem unduly pernickety but the point may have some relevance in future cases.’
- ‘That was how pernickety she was when it came to driving.’
- ‘But is a rescue really the time and place to become pernickety?’
- ‘She is no longer pernickety about her house and her possessions.’
- ‘This is partly due to the demands of an increasingly pernickety international audience ‘who get easily bored.’’
- ‘But it's a pernickety view for a dating agency to take.’
- ‘This is especially important for veggie or fussy diners who are pernickety about kitchen hygiene or the authenticity of their dishes.’
- ‘At last, those of us who are pernickety about our food can come out of the closet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.