One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- British term for persnickety
fussy, difficult to please, difficult, finicky, over-fastidious, fastidious, over-particular, particular, faddish, finical, dainty, punctilious, hair-splitting, exacting, demanding, critical, overcriticalView synonyms
- ‘At last, those of us who are pernickety about our food can come out of the closet.’
- ‘This is especially important for veggie or fussy diners who are pernickety about kitchen hygiene or the authenticity of their dishes.’
- ‘But it's a pernickety view for a dating agency to take.’
- ‘I do not wish to seem unduly pernickety but the point may have some relevance in future cases.’
- ‘This is partly due to the demands of an increasingly pernickety international audience ‘who get easily bored.’’
- ‘She is no longer pernickety about her house and her possessions.’
- ‘But is a rescue really the time and place to become pernickety?’
- ‘That was how pernickety she was when it came to driving.’
- ‘I thought he was just being pernickety, but I'll not argue in future.’
- ‘Needless to say, there were a few of my pernickety readers who were quick to point out the folly of my ways.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.