Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ability of a substance to store electrical energy in an electric field.
- ‘In both cases, the lowering of the local permittivity entails a free energy decrease.’
- ‘First, his instrument included a permittivity sensor.’
- ‘This would be in agreement with previous computer simulations of the permittivity of cytochrome c.’
- ‘He calculated that a material that had a negative permittivity and a negative permeability would also have a negative refractive index.’
- ‘These interactions are screened by a dielectric permittivity of the order 10.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.