One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Great or excessive freedom of behavior.‘a new age of sexual permissiveness’‘the permissiveness of the 1960s’
- ‘Even in an age of moral permissiveness, such behaviour was held to be politically unacceptable.’
- ‘I did not argue that less permissiveness would lead to more violence.’
- ‘Permissiveness is ignoring misbehavior or failing to set reasonable limits on behavior.’
- ‘The biotech industry has grown up in an era of almost complete permissiveness.’
- ‘If you're right, then society would be foolish not to just try out a little more permissiveness.’
- ‘Over the course of an hour, he made several stabs at the city's permissiveness.’
- ‘When all things are permissible, then permissiveness loses its allure.’
- ‘The responses of the women generally did not support a hypothesis about greater permissiveness in sexual behavior.’
- ‘In his world, the norm would be one of extreme social permissiveness.’
- ‘Perhaps they give him the same sense of permissiveness that allowed them to find their unique artistic voices nearly 40 years ago.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.