Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Relating to or denoting the last period of the Paleozoic era, between the Carboniferous and Triassic periods.See also permo–triassic
- ‘The ancestral archosaurs probably originated some 250 million years or so ago, in the late Permian period.’
- ‘Similar features have been seen in Permian and Triassic conifer trunks from Antarctica and North America.’
- ‘Throughout the Permian period the numbers of invertebrate species tends to decrease.’
- ‘Uppermost Permian and Triassic terrestrial sediments conformably overlie the terminal volcanic rocks.’
- ‘It happened 252 million years ago, at the boundary of the Permian and Triassic geological ages.’
- 1.1The Permian period or the system of rocks deposited during it.
Late 16th century: from the name of the Russian province Perm, from the extensive development of such strata there.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.