Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A salt containing the anion MnO₄−, typically deep purplish-red and with strong oxidizing properties.
- ‘Histochemical stains confirmed the presence of melanin, since brown pigment removable by permanganate bleaching was demonstrated by Fontana-Masson stain.’
- ‘Histochemical stains for iron and melanin (Fontana-Masson with and without permanganate bleaching) were also reviewed.’
- ‘He had very bad luck with the permanganate bleach and recommends the dichromate bleach instead.’
- ‘Each was instructed to wash his hands in a disinfecting permanganate solution.’
- ‘Congo red staining was resistant to permanganate pretreatment.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.