One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tooth in a mammal that replaces a temporary milk tooth and lasts for most of the mammal's life.
- ‘Decayed baby teeth can pass bacteria to permanent teeth.’
- ‘They're replaced by a set of 32 permanent teeth, which are also called secondary or adult teeth.’
- ‘However, too high a concentration of fluoride will cause new permanent teeth to have enamel that is mottled.’
- ‘However, parents should discourage thumb sucking after the age of 4, when the gums, jaw, and permanent teeth begin their most significant growth.’
- ‘Injuries to both baby teeth and permanent teeth should be treated by a dentist.’
- ‘Problems like tooth crowding, spaces between the teeth and bite corrections are best addressed after an eruption of the permanent teeth.’
- ‘Some primary and permanent teeth may be missing, abnormally shaped, or out of position.’
- ‘Children born prematurely are likely to have enamel defects in both primary and permanent teeth.’
- ‘Furthermore, the research revealed that a staggering 16 per cent of eight-year-old children already have decay in their permanent teeth.’
- ‘When she gets older, these ‘baby teeth’ will fall out and her permanent teeth will come in.’
- ‘Orthodontic treatment (braces, for example) may be used to ensure that the permanent teeth come through straight and in the right place.’
- ‘A space maintainer is inserted to take the place of the ‘baby tooth’ until the permanent tooth is ready to emerge, he says.’
- ‘Most kids stop grinding when they lose their baby teeth because permanent teeth are much more sensitive to pain.’
- ‘In the case of permanent teeth, time is of the essence.’
- ‘Children have 20 primary teeth that gradually are replaced by permanent teeth.’
- ‘One set of 20 non-permanent teeth precedes the permanent teeth, but the 12 molars are not replaced.’
- ‘After that, your child's orthodontist will wait until the remainder of your child's permanent teeth come in before beginning the second phase.’
- ‘Some first or permanent teeth may be missing, abnormally shaped or crooked.’
- ‘Baby teeth also hold space so permanent teeth can grow in straight.’
- ‘Children need healthy baby teeth to chew food, speak, and to help permanent teeth grow in correctly.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.