The serous membrane lining the cavity of the abdomen and covering the abdominal organs.
- ‘There was no extension into the endometrial cavity, nor into the pelvic peritoneum.’
- ‘The diaphragm is then bluntly dissected away from the parietal peritoneum, leaving the peritoneum behind.’
- ‘This vascular and nervous unit is contained in a band or fold of the peritoneum that is called the suspensory ligament of the ovary.’
- ‘Only 1 case has shown anterior extension to the bladder peritoneum.’
- ‘This treatment uses the lining of the peritoneum to act as the filter.’
Late Middle English: via late Latin from Greek peritonaion, from peritonos stretched around from peri- around + -tonos stretched.