Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A row of columns surrounding a space within a building such as a court or internal garden or edging a veranda or porch.
- ‘The original building comprised a courtyard of enormous size with a full peristyle of eight columns on a side.’
- ‘This form, upon which our modern atria are based, was enclosed on all sides by buildings with roofs sloping to a columned peristyle or walkway around a courtyard.’
- ‘The sequence of these spaces in the palace suggests the atrium and peristyle of Roman houses, basic features of domestic architecture emphasized by the Roman writer Vitruvius.’
- ‘The presence of gardens and especially of a peristyle make one think of a domus, or patrician residence.’
- ‘In it, he criticized the unity of place and time imposed by the classical theatre, which confined all the action to a banal peristyle and expelled all drama to the wings.’
- 1.1An architectural space such as a court or porch that is surrounded or edged by a peristyle.
- ‘With luck, the place would have a working fountain, or at least rainwater in the peristyle garden.’
- ‘The characteristic Pompeian house with its peristyle garden, planted with trees and shrubs, frequently had an outdoor dining area, shaded by a canopy of vines.’
- ‘Portraits of famous Greek and Roman poets, orators, and statesmen filled libraries and peristyles.’
- ‘One should perceive a bit further in the distance the colonnade forming the peristyle of the temple of Berecynthia.’
- ‘She often spent her days in the peristyle, reading or playing the harp.’
Early 17th century: from French péristyle, from Latin peristylum, from Greek peristulon, from peri- around + stulos pillar.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.