Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wavelike movements that push the contents of the canal forward.
- ‘Yoga helps your body reabsorb and expel gas by stimulating peristalsis, the muscle contractions that eliminate waste.’
- ‘Capsule endoscopy uses a wireless video capsule that is swallowed by the patient and propelled by peristalsis.’
- ‘The pumps operate on the theory of peristalsis as is commonly seen in the human digestive system.’
- ‘The initial colonization of the walls of the ureter is in areas of turbulent flow which leads to paralysis of peristalsis.’
- ‘Waves of muscle contractions called peristalsis force food down through the esophagus to the stomach.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek peristallein wrap around from peri- around + stallein to place.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.