One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The involuntary constriction and relaxation of the muscles of the intestine or another canal, creating wavelike movements that push the contents of the canal forward.
- ‘Waves of muscle contractions called peristalsis force food down through the esophagus to the stomach.’
- ‘Yoga helps your body reabsorb and expel gas by stimulating peristalsis, the muscle contractions that eliminate waste.’
- ‘The pumps operate on the theory of peristalsis as is commonly seen in the human digestive system.’
- ‘Capsule endoscopy uses a wireless video capsule that is swallowed by the patient and propelled by peristalsis.’
- ‘The initial colonization of the walls of the ureter is in areas of turbulent flow which leads to paralysis of peristalsis.’
Mid 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek peristallein ‘wrap around’, from peri- ‘around’ + stallein ‘to place’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.