One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Inflammation of the tissue around the teeth, often causing shrinkage of the gums and loosening of the teeth.
- ‘Alternatively you may be referred to a periodontist, a dentist who specialises in treating periodontitis.’
- ‘When gingivitis isn't treated, it can lead to periodontitis, in which the gums loosen around the teeth and pockets of bacteria and pus form, sometimes damaging the supporting bone and causing tooth loss.’
- ‘In order to examine the degree of cardiovascular risk from periodontitis compared with other risk factors, cohort studies are required.’
- ‘The second form of periodontal disease is chronic periodontitis and this is where the inflammation leads to loss of the bone and the periodontal ligament that holds the teeth in, and ultimately leads to loss of the teeth.’
- ‘As many as 44 percent of those aged 55 to 90 who still have their teeth also have periodontitis.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.