One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The area between the anus and the scrotum or vulva.
- ‘Scrub downward over the vulva and perineum beginning over the pubic area and ending in the anal area; discard the sponge after going over the anus.’
- ‘A seat that's too narrow will place your weight on the soft tissue between your sit bones - for men, on the perineum where the penile nerves and blood vessels are located.’
- ‘The perineal area includes the pubis, vulva, labia, perineum, anus, and adjacent area, including the inner aspects of the upper third of the thighs.’
- ‘Eventually, yogis learn to isolate the perineum, a key area of sexual pleasure for both men and women.’
- ‘Although you'll have an anaesthetic when the stitching is done, it can add to the bruising of your vaginal area and perineum.’
Late Middle English: from late Latin, from Greek perinaion.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.