One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An Asian plant of the mint family with medicinal and culinary uses. It is regarded as an invasive weed in some areas.
Perilla frutescens, family Labatiae
- ‘Antibacterial grapefruit seed extract (known to control gingivitis) and perilla seed extract help inhibit the bacteria that can cause plaque and tooth decay.’
- ‘Few plants have made such a splash so quickly as Magilla perilla.’
- ‘A black and green garden collection of 96 plants costs £120 and includes dark dahlias, cosmos, perilla and scabiosa and green euphorbias, gladiolus and zinnia.’
- ‘Two examples of herbs in this category include Pinellia and perilla.’
- ‘It is also known as perilla because its shape, derived from the wooden mould in which it is made, could be likened to a flattened pear as well as to a breast.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.