Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Used after a surname to distinguish a father from a son of the same name.‘Alexandre Dumas père’Compare with fils
- ‘He later voted for Ronald Reagan, and for Bush père.’
- ‘Gates père hits the book circuit soon to promote his upcoming treatise on preserving the estate tax.’
- ‘Students of Murdoch père should not have been too surprised at the business operandi adopted by his son.’
- ‘Holloran père attempts to fight them off downstairs, while the missus and Holloran fils take refuge on higher ground.’
- ‘Jones père kept moving around Los Angeles, hoping that a new house would bring him luck.’
French, literally father.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.