One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Each of the 100 equal groups into which a population can be divided according to the distribution of values of a particular variable.
- ‘We performed 10000 iterations and calculated the probability of obtaining the observed or a more extreme degree of homogeneity in the sign of effect size from the percentiles of the distribution of the results of the 10000 iterations.’
- ‘An alternate method is presented, whereby data are mined from the laboratory information system for each analyte/analyzer combination and data are analyzed through comparison of population percentiles.’
- ‘Comparison of population percentiles requires an adequate amount of data for statistical significance.’
- ‘The terms tercile, quartile, quintile and decile should refer to the percentiles which divide the distribution into 3, 4, 5, or 10 equal parts, respectively.’
- ‘Table 1, which contains the simulation results, therefore displays percentiles of this distribution.’
- 1.1 Each of the 99 intermediate values of a random variable that divide a frequency distribution into 100 groups.‘the tenth percentile for weight’
- ‘While I am certain that there is a wide range of skill levels within the pool of available developers, that does not mean that those developers who are not in the top percentiles should be described as ‘substandard.’’
- ‘Then we divide the income of the household at the ninetieth percentile by the income of the household at the tenth percentile.’
- ‘Bars above histograms indicate the 1st, 5th, 95th, and 99th percentiles of the cumulative frequency distribution.’
- ‘Comparing the top and bottom tenth percentiles, there was more than an eightfold difference in the proportion of patients monitored every 3 months and more than a twofold difference in the proportion of patients monitored every 6 months.’
- ‘While I was there I more than doubled some of the stamina records and scored in the top percentile of graduates in nearly every single academic exam.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.