One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to digestion, especially that in which pepsin is concerned.
- ‘Helicobacter pylori is believed to be a major causative agent of human peptic disorders including chronic gastritis and ulcers.’
- ‘Absence of blood rules against peptic disease.’
- ‘In the rabbits given human gastric juice, peptic activity was detected in the lavage fluid in 8 of 8 animals at 15 minutes, 6 of 8 at 30 minutes, and 5 of 8 at 60 minutes.’
- ‘However, studies have not found a link between alcohol consumption and peptic ulcers, and drinking decaffeinated coffee produces the same amount of acid secretion as its caffeinated counterpart.’
- ‘They are also at risk for peptic strictures, which may obstruct the esophagus and result in dysphagia.’
Mid 17th century: from Greek peptikos ‘able to digest’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.