1A short flared, gathered, or pleated strip of fabric attached at the waist of a woman's jacket, dress, or blouse to create a hanging frill or flounce.
frill, ruffle, ruff, peplum, jabot, furbelow, ruche, ruching, gather, tuck, fringeView synonyms
- ‘The latest waist-friendly look is the unabashedly ladylike peplum top.’
- ‘The peplum was originally conceived as a small panel of fabric or a short skirt draped over the lower torso area of a women's dress or outfit.’
- ‘Bold and beautiful, this peplum blouse is perfect for a night on the town.’
- 1.1(in ancient Greece) a woman's loose outer tunic or shawl.
- ‘She bathed her and dressed the young princess in a Greek-styled gown, which she called peplum.’