One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich outer robe or shawl worn by women in ancient Greece, hanging in loose folds and sometimes drawn over the head.
- ‘Clad in the white peplos of a Greek goddess and elegantly coiffed, she gazes unemotional and aloof at the grisly head on her platter.’
- ‘I felt his tears through the thin linen of my peplos.’
- ‘The long blonde curls piled high on her head with glorious cascades of golden silk falling against the top of her classical Greek peplos.’
- ‘I wrapped a himation around myself and dressed in a peplos.’
- ‘Women of Athens wove the peplos or robe to be presented to the statue of Athena Polias on the Acropolis, embroidered with a scene of the battle with the Giants.’
- ‘Her arms were scraped, her himation had torn off, and her peplos was tearing.’
- ‘So expert advice was available to Durer on how to adapt the astronomical devices from Geometry's peplos to more contemporary interests.’
- ‘I cried, cursing the skirts of the peplos as I ran.’
- ‘Here the goddess wears her high-crested helmet, and a himation replaces her aegis over the peplos.’
- ‘Picking up the skirts of her peplos, she ran towards me.’
- ‘I was still dressed in my peplos and himation but they were soiled.’
- ‘Her himation is pulled up over her head, and covers much of her peplos, which is decorated with a dotted lozenge.’
- ‘I pulled off my peplos angrily and threw it aside.’
- ‘I was about to stop her when she dropped her peplos.’
- ‘I shrugged off the peplos on my right shoulder.’
- ‘She began to fidget, clutching her peplos and grasping it tightly until her knuckles turned white.’
- ‘I dressed in my favorite blue peplos with a belt of gold rope.’
- ‘I stepped on her peplos so she wouldn't be able to pull herself up and run away.’
- ‘I dried myself the best I could and was hesitant to wrap myself in the peplos and then the himation and finally the veil.’
- ‘Putting the peplos on the talisman was an act of simple magic.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.