One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rich outer robe or shawl worn by women in ancient Greece, hanging in loose folds and sometimes drawn over the head.
- ‘The long blonde curls piled high on her head with glorious cascades of golden silk falling against the top of her classical Greek peplos.’
- ‘I shrugged off the peplos on my right shoulder.’
- ‘I dressed in my favorite blue peplos with a belt of gold rope.’
- ‘She began to fidget, clutching her peplos and grasping it tightly until her knuckles turned white.’
- ‘I stepped on her peplos so she wouldn't be able to pull herself up and run away.’
- ‘I pulled off my peplos angrily and threw it aside.’
- ‘I wrapped a himation around myself and dressed in a peplos.’
- ‘I was still dressed in my peplos and himation but they were soiled.’
- ‘Her arms were scraped, her himation had torn off, and her peplos was tearing.’
- ‘Her himation is pulled up over her head, and covers much of her peplos, which is decorated with a dotted lozenge.’
- ‘Putting the peplos on the talisman was an act of simple magic.’
- ‘Women of Athens wove the peplos or robe to be presented to the statue of Athena Polias on the Acropolis, embroidered with a scene of the battle with the Giants.’
- ‘I dried myself the best I could and was hesitant to wrap myself in the peplos and then the himation and finally the veil.’
- ‘I was about to stop her when she dropped her peplos.’
- ‘I cried, cursing the skirts of the peplos as I ran.’
- ‘Picking up the skirts of her peplos, she ran towards me.’
- ‘So expert advice was available to Durer on how to adapt the astronomical devices from Geometry's peplos to more contemporary interests.’
- ‘Here the goddess wears her high-crested helmet, and a himation replaces her aegis over the peplos.’
- ‘I felt his tears through the thin linen of my peplos.’
- ‘Clad in the white peplos of a Greek goddess and elegantly coiffed, she gazes unemotional and aloof at the grisly head on her platter.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.