One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The action or practice of spending time idly observing people in a public place.‘each seat has a view of the park across the street and is perfect for people watching’
- ‘When you can find some elbow-room and a beer, the people watching is fabulous.’
- ‘The masquerade-goers are gathering, which makes for good people-watching.’
- ‘City planners believed that people's taste for green space, for ornament, for people watching, for cozy places for intimate social gatherings, were just social constructions.’
- ‘The outdoor cafe is perfect for people watching and perfect for leisurely afternoon chats over tea, coffee, or drinks.’
- ‘People watching in the Eternal City is almost as fascinating as examining the more ancient Roman artefacts.’
- ‘The main draw is the people watching.’
- ‘It was a great opportunity for a mix of random reminiscences and idle people-watching (always one of my favourite pastimes).’
- ‘"It's the epitome of the beautiful, modern hotel, with great people-watching."’
- ‘When I walk around campus between classes, people-watching is one of my favourite hobbies.’
- ‘I love people watching - and what a great opportunity to watch so closely, tracking relationships and seeing them evolve in such an extraordinary environment.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.