One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An unofficial court set up by a revolutionary or vigilante group.
- ‘The people's courts, vigilantes, and instant-justice mobs that are still flourishing in South Africa and elsewhere on the continent are illegal.’
- ‘As soon as he stepped out of jail, he was taken to a people's court, quickly judged and killed by the mob.’
- ‘A man spent two days in hospital after he was lashed 50 times by members of a people's court.’
- 1.1 An official court in a communist country.
- ‘The intermediate people's court sentenced him to death for making and selling over 600 tonnes of "protein powder" laced with melamine.’
- ‘Canadian and Australian diplomats who tried to enter the first intermediate people's court of Beijing to observe the trial were turned away.’
- ‘But the higher people's court in Shaanxi ordered her execution after it ruled her depression was not directly related to her crime.’
- ‘He and his accomplices then channelled 38 million of the utility's revenues into his own pockets, said the Suining intermediate people's court.’
- ‘The Beijing No 1 intermediate people's court said his main crime was to have abused his position to secure benefits for himself and his family.’
- ‘At an intermediate people's court in early 2002, he was sentenced to death and deprived of political rights for life, and had his assets confiscated.’
- ‘We're seeing worsening contradictions between the ever-rising legal demands from the masses of the people and the relative incapacity of the people's courts.’
- ‘The people's court ruled she should serve imprisonment for deliberate injury and pay compensation of 8000 yuan to the child.’
- ‘The Beijing number one intermediate people's court found him guilty of "inciting subversion of state power" in internet articles and interviews with foreign reporters.’
- ‘Yesterday's session at the intermediate people's court in Jiamusi focused on whether his protest slogan counted as subversion, her lawyer told agencies.’
- ‘The "libel" case was scheduled for trial on February 13, 2001, but the trial was postponed by the intermediate people's court in Taiyuan, the provincial capital.’
- ‘Lethal injections will eventually be used in all intermediate people's courts, instead of relying on firing squads.’
- ‘On the death penalty, Amnesty welcomed a decision by the supreme people's court (SPC) to formally resume its role of approving all death sentences.’
2US informal A small-claims court.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.