One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Practices specifically outlawed - such as debt peonage, where subjects are trapped in an unending cycle of indebtedness for necessities of life which cannot be overcome through their labor - were in reality widespread.’
- ‘The masses, having lived in peonage and slavery under their old masters, fell into a similar yet more industrialized status as United States firms moved onto the island in search of cheap labor and tax benefits.’
- ‘It is even more doubtful whether the colonialists often actually intended the physical extermination of indigenous peoples rather than their displacement, peonage, or enslavement, and conversion to Christianity.’
- ‘These forms typically include serfdom, indentured labor, debt peonage, convict labor, ‘wage slavery,’ and forms of elite slavery, in addition to plantation slavery.’
- ‘The transaction carries overtones of moves to reduce the autonomy of rural African Americans with the debt peonage of sharecropping or exploitation in industrial mills.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.