One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic antibiotic drug used chiefly in the treatment of pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP) infection.
- ‘Sodium antimony gluconate and pentamidine have been used as the first and second line drugs respectively.’
- ‘For patients that cannot tolerate any of these drugs, weekly inhaled pentamidine is used.’
- ‘Dapsone and inhaled pentamidine are commonly employed alternatives to trimethoprim-sulfamethoxasole, but appear to be somewhat less effective in preventing PCP.’
- ‘The growing problem of drug resistance to pentamidine and melarsoprol has driven clinicians to consider combination chemotherapy regimens.’
- ‘Aerosolized pentamidine and dapsone are believed to be safe during pregnancy; however, pyrimethamine should be used with caution.’
1940s: from pentane + amide + -ine.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.