Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Having parts arranged in groups of five.
- ‘The large number of strictly pentamerous families of starfish support the interpretation that there is ‘rigid control’ of pentamerism.’
- ‘He expressed the possibility that the pentamerous condition of the water vascular system might be ‘rigidly programmed into the developmental process.’’
- ‘Most basal Eudicots are dimerous or trimerous, with only occasionally pentamerous types (Sabiaceae, Ranunculaceae) which represent homoplasious trends.’
- ‘The zygomorphic, pentamerous and spurred flowers are approximately 15 x 12 mm in diameter.’
- ‘These species are notable for the plesiomorphic retention of venation (albeit already quite reduced) in their tegmina, segmented cerci, and pentamerous tarsi.’
- 1.1 Consisting of five joints or parts.Compare with pentameral
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.