Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A five-pointed star that is formed by drawing a continuous line in five straight segments, often used as a mystic and magical symbol.Compare with pentacle
- ‘It also bothers me that the newspapers are stating that he drew a pentagram as if pentagrams are synonymous with Satanism, which they most definitely aren't.’
- ‘They find out that the pentagram is not a symbol to be afraid of, and that it means life within spirit.’
- ‘If I see another show on TV that denotes a pentagram or pentacle as evil, I am going to scream.’
- ‘My reunion chums were familiar with the Star of David but not with the pentagram.’
- ‘Can anyone tell me what symbols correspond best with the symbols around the pentagram in this picture?’
- ‘A pentagram symbol was branded on the front and was surrounded by Celtic woven vines.’
- ‘It was only when my eyes caught sight a row of differently-styled pentagrams that something clicked.’
- ‘The insignia was a circle with two pentagrams, but one of the pentagrams was reversed.’
- ‘To the Wiccan, the five points of the pentagram represent Air, Fire, Water, Earth and Spirit.’
- ‘A pentagram and two other symbols I didn't recognize were carved on the side.’
- ‘The lines of the pentagram were done over three times, and that was certainly odd.’
- ‘I even drew pentagrams and the symbols of the zodiac around the page's border, to send Amy some positive voodoo brain-energies.’
- ‘They take the forms of pentagrams and zodiac symbols.’
- ‘If you think you need to dress like a Goth and scrawl pentagrams all over your schoolbooks just to get attention and to advertise your ‘Witchyness’ then you're only perpetuating the myths about us and it should stop.’
- ‘A golden belt girded his waist, and the buckle was a mystic pentagram.’
- ‘If you tie a knot in the strip and put a strong light behind it, you will see a pentagram with all lines divided in golden ratios.’
- ‘We may show our Paganism through our jewelry or our bumper stickers, or the pentagram we trace over our meals as we bless them.’
- ‘The second was of a drawing of a similar pentagram, but it was on a larger scale map.’
- ‘A five-pointed star, the pentagram or pentacle, sometimes has magical and occult associations.’
- ‘Similarly, there are some Christian groups that claim that all Witchcraft is the work of the devil, and having pentagrams and other religious symbols endangers people, as it allows the devil access to that area.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek pentagrammon (see penta-, -gram).
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.