One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A five-pointed star that is formed by drawing a continuous line in five straight segments, often used as a mystic and magical symbol.Compare with pentacle
- ‘It was only when my eyes caught sight a row of differently-styled pentagrams that something clicked.’
- ‘My reunion chums were familiar with the Star of David but not with the pentagram.’
- ‘They take the forms of pentagrams and zodiac symbols.’
- ‘The lines of the pentagram were done over three times, and that was certainly odd.’
- ‘I even drew pentagrams and the symbols of the zodiac around the page's border, to send Amy some positive voodoo brain-energies.’
- ‘If I see another show on TV that denotes a pentagram or pentacle as evil, I am going to scream.’
- ‘If you tie a knot in the strip and put a strong light behind it, you will see a pentagram with all lines divided in golden ratios.’
- ‘They find out that the pentagram is not a symbol to be afraid of, and that it means life within spirit.’
- ‘A pentagram symbol was branded on the front and was surrounded by Celtic woven vines.’
- ‘Similarly, there are some Christian groups that claim that all Witchcraft is the work of the devil, and having pentagrams and other religious symbols endangers people, as it allows the devil access to that area.’
- ‘A five-pointed star, the pentagram or pentacle, sometimes has magical and occult associations.’
- ‘To the Wiccan, the five points of the pentagram represent Air, Fire, Water, Earth and Spirit.’
- ‘It also bothers me that the newspapers are stating that he drew a pentagram as if pentagrams are synonymous with Satanism, which they most definitely aren't.’
- ‘We may show our Paganism through our jewelry or our bumper stickers, or the pentagram we trace over our meals as we bless them.’
- ‘A golden belt girded his waist, and the buckle was a mystic pentagram.’
- ‘If you think you need to dress like a Goth and scrawl pentagrams all over your schoolbooks just to get attention and to advertise your ‘Witchyness’ then you're only perpetuating the myths about us and it should stop.’
- ‘The second was of a drawing of a similar pentagram, but it was on a larger scale map.’
- ‘A pentagram and two other symbols I didn't recognize were carved on the side.’
- ‘Can anyone tell me what symbols correspond best with the symbols around the pentagram in this picture?’
- ‘The insignia was a circle with two pentagrams, but one of the pentagrams was reversed.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek pentagrammon (see penta-, -gram).
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.