One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A talisman or magical object, typically disk-shaped and inscribed with a pentagram or other figure, and used as a symbol of the element of earth.
- ‘Moving and reshaping two elements simultaneously required a pentacle; this he drew in the air with a finger.’
- ‘A five-pointed star, the pentagram or pentacle, sometimes has magical and occult associations.’
- ‘He mused, eyeing for the first time, the pentacle around my neck.’
- ‘When I go to school it is with a cross and a pentacle around my neck.’
- ‘Everything from pentacles and talismans to cloaks and incense can be found here at very reasonable prices!’
- ‘I wouldn't think of waving my blade about in a crowded mall, but my pentacle is also a tool for focus, as well as one meant for protection, and I carry it everywhere.’
- ‘All too often, it seems, people think that when they put on a pentacle, read a few books and put on some black clothes, that somehow they become Witches.’
- ‘When I looked, I was holding a medallion that consisted of a pentacle - the symbol of my faith - within a circle and triangle - the symbol of recovery.’
- ‘It was then I noticed the pentacle around his neck.’
- ‘I wear a pentacle everyday as a symbol of protection and of my faith.’
- ‘The next piece of advice I have is: If you're going to wear a pentacle or any kind of symbol of who you are, don't change your behavior in any way.’
- ‘All were of inverted crosses, pentacles and other strange symbols.’
- ‘For instance, when I was at a dance recital the director asked me to take off my necklace (which had a pentacle on it) because we shouldn't have jewelry on.’
- ‘They've seen me wearing my pentacle, and they've seen the books I carry around, but I think they choose to look the other way.’
- ‘To say I'm freaked out is an understatement, but as soon as I left a small drawing of a pentacle in the sand, the other Pagan respectfully stayed away from my area.’
- ‘It is not right when a person assumes you're a Satanist because you wear a pentacle.’
- ‘If we keep speaking out when a movie falsely uses a pentacle or a talk show falsely references a Wiccan term, there is a chance for a better and brighter tomorrow!’
- ‘Slowly, the masses are being educated through entertainment that the pentacle is merely a symbol that was likewise ‘corrupted’.’
- ‘Wear your pentacle with pride if that's what you want to do, but please be prepared for the questions and comments that are bound to come from somewhere.’
- ‘A year ago I had saw him at the carnival and he had asked about my pentacle.’
- 1.1another term for pentagram
- 1.2pentacles One of the suits in some tarot packs, corresponding to coins in others.
- ‘On the Two of Pentacles we see a young man dancing as he juggles his worldly concerns.’
- ‘The 10 of Pentacles is one of the most auspicious cards in the Tarot deck, besides World.’
Late 16th century: from medieval Latin pentaculum, apparently based on Greek penta- ‘five’.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.