One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A weed of the cabbage family, similar to shepherd's purse but with deeply notched, flat round pods. Native to Europe, it has become well established in North America.
- ‘For fall control of winter annual broadleaf weeds such as mustard and pennycress, growers should use one of the sulfonylurea herbicides labeled for wheat.’
- ‘Watch for such common winter annuals as field pennycress, shepherds purse, henbit, blue mustard and treacle mustard (bushy wallflower).’
- ‘The genetic differentiation into winter and summer annual biotypes in grain lupin and pennycress is also known to be under the control of one or two genes.’
- ‘If your weeds are broadleaf weeds like pennycress and mustards, spray Buctril or Butyrac while weeds are small this fall.’
- ‘The Latin name means that it is a southern pennycress.’
- ‘Below are several products that will provide control of henbit and will provide similar or better control of horseweed, pennycress, and other winter annuals.’
- ‘Weeds such as henbit and pennycress are winter annuals that generally emerge in the fall.’
- ‘Scout winter wheat fields for winter broadleaf weeds such as field pennycress and tansy mustard.’
- ‘One such plant is alpine pennycress, Thlaspi caerulescens, a wild perennial herb found on zinc- and nickel-rich soils in many countries.’
- ‘One plant, alpine pennycress was chosen for intensive study because it accumulates tremendous excesses of some of these elements - as much as 1,000 times more than normal.’
- ‘Alpine pennycress, Thlaspi caerulescens, can concentrate cadmium in its leaves up to about 8,000 ppm (parts per million).’
- ‘In the fall check your fields for winter annual broadleaf weeds such as field pennycress.’
- ‘The worst weeds in winter wheat are those that germinate in the fall with the crop - downy brome, jointed goatgrass, volunteer rye, blue mustard, tansy mustard, field pennycress, wild mustard, and shepherd's purse.’
- ‘Alpine pennycress is one of these plants with a penchant for sucking up metals and storing them.’
- ‘Irrigated winter wheat is often seeded late behind a summer crop such as dry beans and as a result is not competitive with winter annual weeds such as tansy mustard and field pennycress.’
- ‘All six herbicides do a good job of controlling broadleaves like pennycress and mustard.’
- ‘The plant is Thlaspi caerulescens, commonly known as alpine pennycress.’
- ‘Weeds like pennycress, downy brome, mustards, cheatgrass, and shepherd's purse are common in first cut alfalfa.’
- ‘This greenhouse study evaluated the biofumigant effects of crushed seed meal from brown mustard and field pennycress.’
- ‘It controls pennycress, shepherd's purse, tansy mustard, jointed goatgrass and downy brome.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.