One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Pasta in the form of short wide tubes.
- ‘It's the homemade and reasonably priced pasta, gnocchi, penne and lasagne that are the biggest draws, however, with spinach, herb, pumpkin and squid ink pastas all available in various styles and with various sauces.’
- ‘Last time, the penne pasta wasn't fresh enough.’
- ‘Diners choose from spaghetti, fettuccine, penne and capellini noodles and 10 sauces.’
- ‘My second attempt at a main course was garganelli pasta (like large penne with ridges) with roasted chestnuts, virgin olive oil, sage and Parmesan cheese at £15.36.’
- ‘I ordered the chicken and penne pasta, with a beer.’
- ‘There's a very simple, effective penne pasta tossed with Italian sausage in a basil-flecked tomato cream; at $6 it's enough to share.’
- ‘All sorts of pasta can be used, from thin sheets of lasagne to stubby penne or rigatoni.’
- ‘Garganelli pasta is like penne but the tube is ridged so it holds more sauce.’
- ‘Next is a page with 17 Pasta selections with spaghetti, fettuccine, penne, gnocchi, tortelli, lasagne and tortellini.’
- ‘Ginger had black olive penne pasta with tomato, basil and black olives, topped with Parmesan shavings.’
- ‘Serve the steak with hot, buttered noodles sprinkled with chopped parsley or penne pasta topped with your favorite marinara sauce.’
- ‘If you don't have any corkscrew-shaped fusilli, then quill-like penne or almost any tubular pasta is just as good.’
- ‘Combining contemporary and traditional dishes, there are pizzas, such as BBQ chicken & bacon, and tempting pastas like penne Arrabiatta with Cajun chicken.’
- ‘I usually try to order the penne pasta at Italian restaurants because they tend to give you less than if you order the longer noodles, especially the angelhair pasta.’
- ‘The penne salad comes with ‘Italian style chicken, tomato, spinach and basil in a light red pesto dressing’ and has just 266 calories.’
- ‘Place penne pasta into the boiling water and cook according to package directions.’
- ‘Cook the penne pasta as per directions on the box.’
- ‘I've tried spaghetti, fusilli, penne, tagliatelle, linguini and those funny shell-shaped ones.’
- ‘I opened the plastic bag of animals, bade her to play, and went upstairs to cook the sausage for the penne pasta.’
- ‘We were spoilt for choice, tempted by the range of delicious-sounding starters and main courses - pizzas or pastas, penne or fusilli, meat dishes or seafood stew.’
Italian, plural of penna ‘quill’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.