One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Relating to or affecting the penis.
- ‘In boys, examination of the external genitalia may reveal penile and scrotal abnormalities.’
- ‘He had had normal genitalia and penile length before the operation.’
- ‘He told us that he had made a dilator for himself from a piece of electric copper wire, which he inserted into his penile urethra until it went so far that the urine could pass with ease after a few attempts.’
- ‘It produces bizarre symptoms like bladder irritation, urethral or penile pain, perineal pain, lower abdominal pain and low-grade fevers.’
- ‘Physical examinations may reveal some testicular or penile abnormality.’
Mid 19th century: from modern Latin penilis, from penis ‘tail, penis’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.