One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1An antibiotic or group of antibiotics produced naturally by certain blue molds, and now usually prepared synthetically.
- ‘The antibiotics used were mainly cephalosporins, penicillins, fluoroquinolones, aminoglycosides, tetracyclines and antituberculosis drugs.’
- ‘Antibiotic categories to consider include penicillins, cephalosporins, and macrolides.’
- ‘All the usual range of antibiotics, penicillins and cephalosporins are pretty much useless against these things.’
- ‘Major classes of antibiotics include tetracyclines, aminoglycosides, penicillins, cephalosporins, fluoroquinolones, streptogramins, sulfonamides, and erythromycins.’
- ‘Exanthematous eruptions most commonly occur in association with the administration of penicillins or cephalosporins.’
- ‘Overuse of antibiotics has been shown to drive the evolution of mutant strains of bacteria immune to a broad spectrum of drugs, including penicillins, cephalosporins, and quinolones.’
- ‘In general, cephalosporins and penicillins are not very effective in treating acne.’
- ‘While the incidence of true cross-reactivity between penicillins and cephalosporins is low, the possible reactions include anaphylaxis, which can be fatal.’
- ‘Most antibiotics such as penicillins, cyclosporines, and aminoglycosides can be used safely during pregnancy, but tetracyclines should be avoided.’
- ‘Oral antibiotics are usually used in the treatment and include first-generation cephalosporins, penicillinase-resistant penicillins, macrolides, and fluoroquinolones.’
- ‘For the patient who is allergic to penicillins, the use of trimethoprim/sulfamethoxazole is indicated.’
- ‘The aminopenicillins were the first penicillins discovered to be active against gram-negative rods such as E. coli and H. influenzae.’
- ‘Enterococci are inherently resistant to cephalosporins, semi-synthetic penicillins, and clindamycin.’
- ‘Many were originally sensitive to antibiotics such as penicillins, but overuse of these drugs has resulted in many multi-resistant bacteria.’
- ‘Studies from the late 1960s and the 1970s revealed that streptococcal eradication was equal with intramuscularly and orally administered penicillins.’
- ‘The lactams are a family of antimicrobial agents consisting of four major groups: penicillins, cephalosporins, monobactams, and carbapenems.’
- ‘The surprising finding was that people who had reacted to sulphonamides were more likely to react to penicillins than to sulphonamide non-antibiotics.’
- ‘It is well established that far less expensive antibiotics, including the penicillins and tetracyclines, are highly effective against Anthrax.’
- ‘Within these two therapeutic drug classes, penicillins were identified 22 times, cephalosporins 21 times, and opioids 20 times.’
- ‘Unlike Streptococcus pneumoniae, group A beta-hemolytic streptococci have not developed resistance to penicillins.’
2A blue mold of a type that produces penicillin.
Genus Penicillium, subdivision Deuteromycotina
From the modern Latin genus name Penicillium (see penicillium) + -in.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.