One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A device for sharpening a pencil by rotating a cutter around its point.
- ‘Behind a gas station we find some personal articles: a money clip, a pencil sharpener, part of a pen.’
- ‘Can I bring a pencil sharpener on the plane, or is that also a dangerous weapon?’
- ‘I've got one of those battery-operated pencil sharpeners.’
- ‘I will leave you to guess why one of our number has just gone to stare at a pencil sharpener.’
- ‘Design tends to follow the leading technical products of its period; in an age of aviation, even pencil sharpeners are streamlined.’
- ‘I flinched and immediately hunched over the old manual pencil sharpener and furiously cranked that handle like there was no tomorrow.’
- ‘She also had two notebooks for writing in, a case of pencils, a pencil sharpener, and some erasers.’
- ‘An eighth-grader is fiddling with a broken pencil sharpener.’
- ‘Scribbling a quick reply, I stood up to go to the pencil sharpener.’
- ‘Beginning to become frustrated with the conversation she leaned down into her backpack and pulled out a silver pencil sharpener and tossed it to him.’
- ‘Casey delighted in rifling through the pencil case to examine every stapler, every pencil sharpener and oddly shaped eraser.’
- ‘You simply place your hand on a device that looks somewhat like an electric pencil sharpener, and it measures levels of carotenoids in your skin.’
- ‘A packet containing a desk set of hole punch, stapler, pencil sharpener and scissors bore a sticker saying ‘Touch Me’.’
- ‘There was no response except for what sounded like a backed-up pencil sharpener.’
- ‘There were also some small flat round objects that might have been either pencil sharpeners or key fobs, of the sort that eight-year-old girls buy in museum shops on school trips.’
- ‘I went in, and saw the usual 2-hole pencil sharpener which meant 2 blades for $1 and I was about to get it, until I saw above it 6 pencil sharpeners for $1.50.’
- ‘Martin slapped both on the table and rushed off to buy pencil sharpeners and erasers.’
- ‘Apparently, on my final visit to him, I took fourteen pencil sharpeners and a penny I'd found on my way there.’
- ‘Laura, can I please borrow your pencil sharpener?’
- ‘Some of the items, like erasers and pencil sharpeners, shaped and coloured like fruits and vegetables, were much in demand.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.