One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The point within the penalty area from which penalty kicks are taken.
- ‘In a game of few scoring chances the visitors went ahead midway through the opening half from the penalty spot.’
- ‘Internal disharmony and a fallibility from the penalty spot have proved to be their weaknesses.’
- ‘Without so much as a glance towards his assistant referee, the referee pointed to the penalty spot.’
- ‘The opening goal of the game came from the penalty spot with only two minutes remaining in the first half.’
- ‘So far England have scored two goals in three games, the first from a corner kick and the second from the penalty spot.’
penalty spot/ˈpenəltē spät/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.