One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(in rugby, hockey, etc.) a goal scored from a penalty.‘the home side managed to close the gap with a penalty goal’
- ‘The sides shared three penalty goals in the first eight minutes.’
- ‘Chris Sansom completed the scoring with a penalty goal and two conversions.’
- ‘It wasn't long before the Barbarians reduced the deficit with a penalty goal.’
- ‘In the past four years alone, the Wallabies have won three major trophies with penalty goals inside the last 60 seconds.’
- ‘Fortune did not favour the Ballon lads in this second round tie and they found themselves in arrears to a penalty goal after just 15 minutes.’
- ‘Penalty goals to both sides meant that the game probably ended with the right result.’
- ‘Wayne Williams converted a penalty goal in the 30th minute.’
- ‘The match was then in the balance for quite a long while, with the opposition kicking a penalty goal to take the score to 8-5.’
- ‘He ran and tackled hard, and he kicked a couple of penalty goals with that trusty boot of his.’
- ‘Hard as Monkstown tried in the second half they never looked like getting back into the contest and managed to score just one penalty goal.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.