One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The rectangular area marked out in front of each goal, within which a foul by a defender involves the award of a penalty kick and outside which the goalkeeper is not allowed to handle the ball.
- ‘His whole mental attitude in the penalty area is that if that ball comes into that space, I'll be there.’
- ‘Now then, Croatia have a free-kick just outside the left edge of the penalty area.’
- ‘It's time for the ref to do something ludicrous and give a penalty, even if the ball is nowhere near the penalty area.’
- ‘A free-out is a free-kick awarded to the defending team in their own penalty area.’
- ‘As a forward, you want to time your run into the penalty area and know that the ball will arrive at the right time.’
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.