Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A large, wedge-shaped, bivalve mollusk of warm seas that burrows into the seabed where it attaches itself by strong byssus threads.
- ‘Included are pen shells, pearl oysters and a young Tridacna.’
- ‘The top of this elegant accent table is hand-laid with pen shell to create an artistic pattern.’
- ‘Perfect for photography, the cave walls and rocky floor are filled with marine life, including pen shells and seahorses.’
- ‘Modern pinnoideans, or ‘pen shells,’ are shallowly to deeply endobyssate, equivalved, edentulous, ham-shaped bivalves with a single, slightly submerged, opisthodetic ligament.’
- ‘The pen shell is the largest shellfish of the Adriatic sea, with a possible length of 1200 mm.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.