One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for pencil pusher
writer, feature writer, contributor, journalist, correspondent, newspaperman, newspaperwoman, newsman, newswomanView synonyms
- ‘A country that does not produce its own goods can quickly become nothing more than a nation of glorified pen-pushers.’
- ‘They might have to hire more front-line staff, cut the pen-pushers and be prepared to work closer with community groups.’
- ‘Front-line nurses, doctors and teachers are more important than pen-pushers.’
- ‘It is easy to dismiss middle managers as bureaucratic pen-pushers.’
- ‘He closes with a scathing remark about the number of pen-pushers at the defense department.’
- ‘A young man in his late 20s approached the pen-pushers.’
- ‘We have far too many pen-pushers and nowhere near enough cleaners and maintenance staff.’
- ‘Just how many of the redundancies will be clinical or nursing staff, and how many will be pen-pushers and bureaucrats?’
- ‘We don't want another well-paid tier of useless pen-pushers.’
- ‘They defy the myth of public sector pen-pushers meddling in business affairs they know nothing about.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.