Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Inflammation of the female genital tract, accompanied by fever and lower abdominal pain.
- ‘But, left untreated, the infection can cause miscarriages, premature labour and pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Coils, as they are commonly known, are not usually recommended for women who have never been pregnant, as they are more difficult to insert and the slightly increased risk of pelvic inflammatory disease may impair future fertility.’
- ‘This can lead to the development of endometritis or pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Although chlamydial infection is asymptomatic in the majority of women, it is the leading cause of pelvic inflammatory disease in the United States.’
- ‘Meckel's diverticulum, cecal diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease, pelvic inflammatory disease, and endometriosis can cause false-positive ultrasound results.’
- ‘These include conditions such as acute pelvic inflammatory disease, cancers of the female reproductive organs, and procedures such as sterilisation and abortion.’
- ‘We looked at hospital admissions data for congenital and acquired syphilis, pelvic inflammatory disease, and ectopic pregnancy.’
- ‘But it may help us understand the role bacterial vaginosis can play in pelvic inflammatory disease and uterine infections.’
- ‘There is also a 10% risk of ectopic pregnancy after clinical pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘It is important to receive treatment for gonorrhoea as quickly as possible, as the disease can cause complications and serious health problems such as pelvic inflammatory disease if it is left untreated.’
- ‘For women, pain in this area may also indicate a urinary tract infection or pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Endometritis and salpingitis are thought to be components of pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Infections such as chlamydia and gonorrhea can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Several case studies and one randomised controlled trial have shown that screening significantly reduces the prevalence of genital tract infections and pelvic inflammatory disease in women.’
- ‘Untreated, chlamydia can spread to the upper genital tract (uterus, fallopian tubes and ovaries), resulting in pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘An example of this is chlamydia, which, if left untreated, can lead to pelvic inflammatory disease, ectopic pregnancy and infertility.’
- ‘This combination product is indicated for treatment of moderate to severe infections such as appendicitis, skin and skin structure infection, pelvic inflammatory disease, and pneumonia.’
- ‘This can cause serious health problems in later life, such as pelvic inflammatory disease.’
- ‘Similar inflammation of the female reproductive tract called pelvic inflammatory disease may develop in untreated cases likewise leading to infertility.’
- ‘By contrast, gonorrhoea, chlamydia, and pelvic inflammatory disease could be acquired only through sex with men.’
pelvic inflammatory disease/ˈpelvik inˈflaməˌtôrē dəˈzēz/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.